I have to admit that white is a neutral that is best worn during the warmer months. During the warmer months, there is less chance for puddles or old snow to muddy things up. White also reflects light which in turn helps to keep you cool.
The following rules seem basic, but I am surprised at the number of women who still haven’t been schooled on this. In order for you to wear white right, you must adhere to the following rules:
- Pick your underwear carefully. bright colors, printed and lace underwear usually bleeds through and trust when I tell you that this is not a good look. Pick black, navy blue or a nude color underwear instead of the frillys, brights and prints.
- Check your chair. Last Thursday, my co-worker showed me how she hid a stain on her top by wrinkling the material. Although, I thought it was genius, I don’t think the wrinkle trick would work on any white garments. Once you get a stain, the outfit is pretty much done and that’s what happened to me here. The black stair handles were covered with yellow pollen dust. There is no blending in our hiding the stain and if you are a long way from home, this could be a problem.
- Know your schedule. If you are expecting your monthly friend, that might not be a great time to pick a white outfit. You are supposed to be confident and cool not worried, anxious and staring at your backside in the mirror at every opportunity.
- Pick a good fabric. If you plan to wear a white bottom or dress to the office, make sure you pick a thick, opaque fabric. It looks better and more professional.
- Be cautious with makeup and perfumes. Apply makeup and perfume AFTER you get dressed to avoid staining.
- Don’t wear white when traveling. No matter what the commercials tell you, modern day engineered vehicles are not spill proof. Sudden stops, air pockets or a swerve could leave you with one heck of a mess.
I am wearing:
Top: printed Asian inspired fuchsia top from Ann Taylor (thrifted). Similar: Kate Spade New York Playwright Print Silk Top from Nordstrom.
Bottom: Mossimo women’s white sateen cuff shorts from Target
Ossie took these photos