Peplums, The Sartorial Cure For Muffin Top

January 9, 2013 · 18 comments

I’ve been carrying my pouch (aka muffin top) for most of my adult life. It has generated many “are you expecting questions” and is the reason why I recently started a collection of girdles and other stretchy support under things to help keep the pudge at bay.  This peplum top seems to be the  kryptonite to my pudge though and if I had any idea that the little flare of extra fabric would act as a camouflage for my incurable muffin top, I would have racked up a lot more of these a year ago.

Leather_Peplum_Top IMG_Leather Peplum Top IMG_LeatherPeplumTop

What I Am Wearing!

The black leatherette peplum top was another amazing find at Macys.  I am not affiliated with them, by the way (not for this post anyways) I just really love shopping there.  I applied one of my holiday gift cards to this $29  purchase so it was actually free.  I wore this to Blogher’s and Have to Have’s theater night in Manhattan last night where I saw The Heiress. I was planning to wear skinny jeans with the top but decided to go with a pencil skirt instead because it looked more formal.  In lieu of the boots pictured here, I wore the outfit with ankle boots and tights. I anticipated that I would be walking a lot last night and these boots were not practical for that.

I am open to other suggestions on how I can hide my muffin top. Stretchy underthings are no fun!

Photo credit: Ossie took this photo!

Today I am linking up with: Pleated Poppy|Whatever Whenever Wednesday | Monday Mingle.

Melanie February 8, 2013 at 1:24 am

Bonjour! Wow, those are fantastic photos. I love everything I’m seeing.
Okay, I truly would not have known about the Evil Muffin Top had you not mentioned it.

Natasha February 11, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Thanks Melanie, trust me it’s there… I am working on it. (-:

The Good Will Hunting Paralegal
January 28, 2013 at 1:02 pm

You look beautiful, Natasha. I’ve never noticed a muffin top, probably because of your great style and gorgeous smile. I just got my first peplum top and a peplum dress via a Loft flash sale, and am stoked to wear it. The peplum is a godsend to women with no hips, too! Gives us stick figures a li’l va-va-voom!

Natasha January 29, 2013 at 1:33 am

If you haven’t noticed it then I’ve been successful with hiding it. Yes, I was watching Fashion Police on E on Friday and I sincerely hope that peplums will stick around for a while. Yes, I agree that it also works well on smaller frames. Can’t wait to see your Loft find.

Sarah the Stylist January 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Kryptonite indeed! The leather peplum is so full of sass and style, it’s the perfect way to combat a tummy.

Sarah
Cable Car Couture
Sarah the Stylist recently posted..Daily Outfit: Call Your Girlfriend [Pinspiration]My Profile

Natasha January 22, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Thanks Sarah. The peplum was one of the biggest style trends last year. I so regret waiting so long to try it. )-:

Glam Slam!
January 12, 2013 at 7:59 pm

What a fabulous leather peplum top! Very, very chic my friend! A very good tip for disguising a muffin top; I think I’ll have to try it!

Stephanie :)
Glam Slam! recently posted..Current Obsession: 3.1 Phillip Lim BootiesMy Profile

Natasha January 14, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Thanks Stephanie!

Carissa
January 10, 2013 at 7:21 am

Cute outfit! I love your peplum:) Have a good weekend!

Carissa
Lillies & Silk

Beautystyleandgrowth
January 9, 2013 at 9:15 pm

You look great. The peplum top is definitely my friend
K at http://www.beautystyleandgrowth.blogspot.com
Beautystyleandgrowth recently posted..Stripes and PoppyMy Profile

Natasha January 9, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Aha! Actually, I think it’s a great cut for women. It really complements our curvy figures.

Dionne January 9, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info. I’m beginning to have a muffin top going on since I stopped zumba. I’ll try the peplums and see if it’s as flattering on me as it is on you. You look lovely!!!

Natasha January 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Hey Dionne. Since you stopped Zumba? Even when I was dancing muffin stayed put.)-: I am trying to find a exercises that target the lower abs though… I’ll keep you all updated on this.

Tavia January 9, 2013 at 11:32 am

Natasha! That peplum top is faaaabulous! Paired with the all black gives it such a classic yet modern look.

Tavia
Tavia recently posted..Stripes, Leopard and Updates!My Profile

Natasha January 9, 2013 at 10:36 pm

TAVIA!!!!! I hope you are back. I missed you! I am glad I picked the pencil skirt. If I went with the printed pants that I was planning to wear I would have ended up looking like a twin last night. I know I’ve been wearing a lot of black of lately, but I don’t think this was the outfit to add color to. The black on black carried it. (-:

Frannie Pantz January 9, 2013 at 11:31 am

OMGosh Natasha I would NEVER think you were pregnant! I don’t see that at all. But I DO love your top. In fact, I am gonna go order one straight away! You look great and very chic in this all black look!
Frannie Pantz recently posted..Dinner QuestionsMy Profile

Natasha January 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Lol Robin.

Muffin/pudge is very evident in this post from November 2011! I was about 15 lbs lighter then and trust me, it didn’t blend in with the rest of my fat. (-: http://www.onewomansstyleevolution.com/2011/11/date-night-little-black-dress/