Short Dress Takes Its Place In The Donate Pile

January 16, 2013 · 10 comments

Poor planning on my part was the reason for the absence from my blog for the last  few days. One of the challenges of being a part-time blogger is that you have to plan ahead and have several back-up plans in case plans A and B fail.  And in my world, plans A and B were epic fails this week.  It didn’t help either that I decided to pen a substantive posts for plan C and well there are now a few of those in various stages of development and all of them are far from being complete. This is why I had to dig deep into my photo archives to pull out this dress that I retired recently.

I bought this dress from… wait for it, Macys in 2006.  That was the year that I started working at my firm. That is also the year that I discovered that big firms give out monetary gifts known as bonuses.  A small portion of the bonus went towards this dress so it actually held some sentimental value.  It did it’s job though. I wore her to death and now it has finally taken its place in the donate pile.  I am still finding it odd that even with my recent weight gain that it fits (although a little closer) and zips with ease but for some reason cannot now pass the bend over test. That’s when you bend over to pick up something and then check the mirror to see how far the dress rides up for those of you that don’t know.  My “ride-up” made me look like I was wearing a t-shirt.  So long dress! You will be missed.

IMG_7676 IMG_7665

I just hope that by the end of this week the weather will be amicable and that a photographer will be available this weekend.

Ossie took these photos!

One Love, Natasha

The Good Will Hunting Paralegal
January 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm

It is a super cute dress – and if it passed the bend over test, I’d try layering it over a skirt and adding a belt. Or yes, over skinny jeans.

Natasha January 29, 2013 at 1:34 am

Thank you. I haven’t actually tried the layering bit yet. I was leaning towards adding the peplum bottom, but will definitely give it a try.

andrea January 21, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I would go with the skinny jeans/jeggins and get more mileage from this. Is that burgundy or red in there? Black boots, burgundy skinnys. Open the sides, close the back split (i presume there is a split) and maybe cut a few inches from the hem………viola!

Natasha January 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Thanks Andrea. This is one of the reasons I wished we lived closer. I am still clueless about my sewing machine which is literally gathering dust in my closet, but if I had the services of a someone who knew their way around it then we would be able to try both. I am searching for some leather though and I think I am going to try the peplum idea though. I’ll just have to hire a tailor and they don’ come cheap around here. Here is a picture of what I am hoping to convert it to. http://www.lyst.com/clothing/dkny-peplum-hem-dress/

SamiJ January 18, 2013 at 10:40 am

I wonder…. could a tailor turn this from a dress into a peplum top?

Natasha January 20, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Hi SamiJ. I actually never considered that until I saw your comment. I looked around the internet and saw a few peplum hem dresses and I am going to ask around.Thanks so much for your suggestion.

miss donna
January 17, 2013 at 12:47 am

girl, sometimes i miss those law firm bonuses. i have a green leather jacket from…wait for it…2000 hanging in my closet as a result. and it came from Macy’s, i kid you not. those sentimental pieces are so hard to let go of.
miss donna recently posted..personal style | how to tie a scarfMy Profile

Natasha January 20, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I had no idea that you were a law firm veteran. Wow green leather sounds high fashion. Macys is such a great store. Great prices and selections.

Natasha January 16, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Thanks Robin! I am actually wondering if I could get a way with some leggings or skinny jeans with it. Hmmmmm!
Natasha recently posted..Short Dress Takes Its Place In The Donate PileMy Profile

Frannie Pantz January 16, 2013 at 11:31 am

Aw bummer! What a cute dress Natasha! But at least it had a good, full-filled life of fashion while it was yours. Now it can make someone else happy! For the record, though, I think it still looks really cute on you!
Frannie Pantz recently posted..Happy Birthday Megan!!My Profile