The black travel movement? Yes, you heard that right and there is a huge effort on social media to help debunk the myth and stereotype that people of the African diaspora don’t travel outside of the Caribbean, Atlanta, Miami and Las Vegas.
When I traveled through Europe in 2013, the only other black people that I came across were residents or resident aliens. It’s been a year and half since I made my voyage and I was feeling quite discouraged about finding someone to share my experience with until I landed on TravelNoire’s Instagram account a few months ago. Seeing pictures of people who looked like me in exotic locations around the world gave me hope that on my next voyage that I might not have to take the voyage alone.
Today, I came across this article and a handful of other niche travel Instagram accounts whose focus is to inspire people of the African diaspora to travel.
If you are looking and hoping to become part of this movement, here are a few Instagram accounts that you should be following now.
1) @BlackAdventuristas Celebrates Black Women Who Dare to Live Adventurously!
2) @NomadnessTribe This self described new age urban travel movement is 8,000 members strong!
3) @TravelNoire A digital publishing platform focusing on travelers of the African Diaspora.
4) @HardlyHome From your city to ours. Travel. Food. Music. Art. Culture and Good Living.
5) @BlackGirlsTravelToo Women who inspire others to travel the world, serve globally, and change lives in the process.
6) @SoulSociety Inspiring & guiding Black Travel through our shared experiences!
7) @CitizenOf_TheWorld World travel enthusiast debunking the myth that the African diaspora doesn’t travel
9) @BlackStudentsTravel Promotes the opportunity of studying abroad for Black students
10) @BlackGirlWorld Black Girls Who Travel